Matinee of ‘The Shack’
scheduled June 2 in Newark
Enjoy the afternoon by watching “The Shack” at 1 p.m. Friday, June 2, at the Charles B. Phillips Library, 6 N. Jackson St. in Newark.
Mack retreats to an abandoned shack after suffering from a family tragedy. Refreshments and popcorn will be provided.
Gallery Seven to feature
Morris artists on Saturday
Two Morris photographers – Dr. Robert Engle and Dr. Lawrence Johnson – are exhibiting their work in this year’s Open Lens VIII at Gallery Seven.
Open Lens is a juried fine art photography exhibit with an opening reception from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, June 3. This Open Lens event is free and open to the public. Gallery Seven is next door to the historic Rialto Square Theatre, 116 N. Chicago St. in Joliet.
That evening the artists will discover the winners of this year’s show. Best of Show, first, second and third place, and five honorable mention awards will be announced around 7 p.m.
Gallery Seven has put Joliet in the limelight for fine art photography. Open Lens VIII is the primary fundraiser for the gallery and helps to keep the gallery open and thriving, putting this Joliet gallery on the national map.
Open Lens VIII will appear at Gallery Seven from June 1 through July 7.
Gallery Seven is operated by a group of local artists at 116 N. Chicago St., Suite 102, Joliet.
This free gallery is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 10 a.m. to noon the first Saturday of the month.
All exhibited work at Gallery Seven is for sale.
Greenhouse Morris celebrating one-year anniversary
Since the grand opening in 2016, Greenhouse has served hundreds of Grundy County and Kendall County residents.
As a token of appreciation to this welcoming community, Greenhouse is hosting an open house for the public and patients alike from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 3. Holistic health and wellness vendors from the area will be present, along with refreshments.
Additionally, wellness classes will be held throughout the day for all to enjoy. Please join us in celebrating an amazing first year at our Morris location.
For information, call Kyra Rowe at 815-513-0124 or email email@example.com.
32nd annual Cabin Festival
to begin Saturday morning
The festival will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 3, at Goose Lake Prairie State Park at the Cragg Cabin.
Visit re-enactors from the 1800s, presenting old-time skills, crafts and stories.
Events might include American Indian life and culture, American mountain men, beekeeping, blacksmithing, children’s games, tanning, farming, plant study, old-fashioned games, woodworking, wood carvers, dulcimer music, knitting, crochet, lace making, quilting, weaving, spinning, discussions of culture, cabin life and area history in 1830-1860.
There is free entry, free parking and free family fun. Join those on the wagon for a quick trip to the cabin.
Step into the Visitor Center to see the queen-size quilt made by Prairie Partners. Visit with our sponsor for the day, and find your educational souvenirs in the gift shop.
The food tent is offering brats, hot dogs and bison burgers at a reasonable price from 11 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Goose Lake Prairie State Park is at 5010 N. Jugtown Road in Morris.
Morris Hospital Wild West Fest planned for Saturday afternoon
Everyone in the community is invited to Morris Hospital Auxiliary’s third annual Wild West Fest from 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 3, at Dollinger Family Farm, 7420 E. Hansel Road in Channahon.
All proceeds will benefit Morris Hospital’s Rhythm of Our Youth cardiac screening program at area high schools.
Tickets are $40 per person or $75 per couple and include admission, barbecue from 5B’s, dessert and soft drinks. Beer, wine and raffle tickets will be sold separately.
The evening will also feature live music from Crash, line dancing and hayrides. Guests must be 21 years of age or older and should wear suitable attire and shoes for the farm.
Be sure to watch Morris Hospital’s Facebook page for updates on raffle prizes and fun activities in store for the Wild West Fest.
For information or to buy tickets, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7024.
Summer Reading program open to all ages at library in Newark
Stop by the Charles B. Phillips Library on 6 N. Jackson St. in Newark on Monday, June 5, and sign up for the Reading by Design summer reading program.
The reading program is open up to all ages. Earn prizes as you read this summer.
Throughout the summer, the library will be bursting with fun youth activities including movies, crafts, activities, and special presentations.
Adult and teen programs include Tuesday Morning Book Chats, Friday Matinees, Hand & Foot Canasta, crafts and special programs featuring Jim Gibbons and Leslie Goddard.
Kid’s movie showing of ‘Rock Dog’ scheduled on Monday
Kick off your summer break by stopping in the library to watch “Rock Dog” at 1 p.m. Monday, June 5, at the Charles B. Phillips Library on 6 N. Jackson St. in Newark.
Hand & Foot Canasta card game learning, practice on June 9
Don’t know how to play Hand & Foot Canasta?
Don’t fret, learn how to play and enjoy the afternoon playing with other card lovers at 1 p.m. Friday, June 9, at the Charles B. Phillips Library on 6 N. Jackson St. in Newark.
– Morris Herald-News
Music Suite 408 Retreats
• Summer Flute Retreat: June 18 to 24, First Congregational Church in Peru. Sponsored by Music Suite 408 and the Illinois Valley Flute Ensemble, all ages and ability levels (including adults) are welcome. The faculty include Gerald Carey, flute professor emeritus, Western Illinois University; Sue Gillio, Music Suite 408; Ellen Huntington, Loyola University; Darcie Fleming, Carolyn Nussbaum Music Company; Anne Badger, retreat accompanist, Ottawa/NYC. Tuition includes all classes, performances, a T-shirt and catered lunches. Applications and registration materials are available at Music Suite 408, 408 Fifth St., in Peru. Call Sue Gillio, coordinator, at 815-223-4408 for more information.
• Clarinet Camp: 9 a.m. to noon June 26-30 for middle school/junior high school students, Zion United Church of Christ in Peru. Sponsored by Music Suite 408; Emily Gallagher, instructor. Call 815-223-4408 for registration materials. Watch Music Suite 408 Facebook page for more details.
• Bluegrass/Folk Guitar Workshop: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. June 28. Featuring Italian guitarist Beppe Gambetta. Cost of $30 includes all materials and interactive workshop for guitar players. Jointly sponsored by NCI ARTworks and Music Suite 408; hosted at Music Suite 408, 408 Fifth St. in Peru. Early registration is encouraged by calling 815-223-4408.
• Beppe Gambetta in Concert: 7 p.m. June 29 at Zion United Church of Christ in Peru. Tickets are $12 for adults or $5 for students. Sponsored by Music Suite 408. Call 815-223-4408.
• Illinois Valley String Retreat: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 9-15 at the First Congregational Church of Peru. Commemorating the 150th birthday of Peru violinist Maud Powell. Sponsored by Music Suite 408. PreTwinkle/Twinkle Mini Session is from 9 a.m. to noon July 10-14. All ages and ability levels (including adults) are welcome.
Registration is strongly encouraged. Faculty include Lauren Canitia, PreTwinkle/Twinkle Mini Session, registered Suzuki educator; Matthew White, violin; Andrada Pteanc, violin/jazz; Delle Vercimak, cello. Tuition includes all materials, classes, a T-shirt and catered lunches (for all-day participants only). String educators may attend for free. For information or registration materials, call Music Suite 408 at 815-223-4408.