DWIGHT – A fire that likely started in a printing press at a Dwight commercial printing company spread through the building's ducts Tuesday morning.
Dwight firefighters responded around 9:55 a.m. Tuesday to LSC Communications, 801 N. Union St. in Dwight, for a reported commercial structure fire, according to a news release from the Dwight Fire Protection District.
When first responders arrived, fire was visible from the roof on the building's south side, but all employees had safely evacuated. Employees were sent to a collection point at the former Pete's Restaurant and Pancake.
Firefighters found that the fire started in a machine press after some investigation. The fire had then spread through the building's ducts and to the roof. Dwight firefighters and those from other agencies had the fire under control within roughly one hour, but units remained on the scene to ensure the fire was completely extinguished.
It was not clear Tuesday afternoon how the company's business would be impacted, and how much the fire's damage was estimated to cost.
Crews from Odell, Gardner, Pontiac, Morris, Mazon, Coal City, Braidwood, Duffy Ambulance, Grundy County Emergency Management Agency, South Wilmington, Wilmington, Limestone, Allen Township, Channahon, Cullom, South East Livingston County Emergency Management Services, Essex and Fairbury assisted Dwight fire on the scene because of the extent of the fire's spread.
Dwight Village officials, police and Public Works officials cooperated with local fire official command staff to ensure there was little interruption to local public services.