COAL CITY – A water tower near the Coal City Village Hall has been removed, reducing the number of towers in the village from three to two. But, because of how water systems work, the total capacity for water within the village increased.
A contractor took the water tower down on Monday, Aug. 6. Due to the tower’s location, between the village hall and police department and near the BNSF railroad line, it required coordination between the railroad, the village public works department and Commonwealth Edison.
Village services in the area closed for the day because of the project.
The tank was build in 1947 and had capacity for 100,000 gallons of water. Since 1947, the village had erected two more towers. The tank near the village hall had outlived its useful life.
“Towers undergo a process of sanding away deteriorated layers and refurbishment resulting in the walls of the vessel ... becoming a little bit thinner each time this process is undergone,” the village stated in a new release. “The village had conducted its regular inspections and had planned upon its removal.”
The two newer water towers are taller than the one now removed and, as a result, the waster level in the village’s system could only go as high as the oldest, shortest tower.
“Both of the existing towers shall be able to full slightly more resulting in additional storage within the two remaining towers than the total storage that was available previously,” the release stated.
The tower near village hall had already been emptied and available storage transferred to the remaining towers.